Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Making Merry (in the kitchen)

I have been having fun making breakfast in the kitchen recently. This morning I decided that I was going to build a snowman in a non-snowy part of California.

Aren't they cute?

Now I'm not the totally organized blogger who happens to have a camera with her in the kitchen when she starts and takes nice photos of every step of her making the cute little creations of goodness pictured above. No. I did get a few shots of the last pancakes on the griddle and the one pictured above and that's about it. 

Here is what I did. I got up and did some P90X. My mom got up and mixed up some buttermilk pancake batter and got them started. Then she realized that she needed to sign 3 kids up for a tournament before registration closed at which point I jumped in and started making the pancakes. (Always a lot going on at the Dickson household).

Recipe: 
Makes about fourteen 3-inch pancakes

1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
3 Tablespoons butter, meltd
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
(We usually multiply this by 3 at least and when all of the boys are home on the weekends we might do it by 4)

In a bowl mix buttermilk, egg, and butter together until smooth. 
Stir flour, salt and baking soda together in a small bowl until well blended. Stir into buttermilk mixture only until dry ingredients are moisened- leave some lumps.
Heat a skillet or griddle to medium hot. Grease lightly and spoon out about 3 Tablespoons per pancake (I probably did about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter per pancake to make snowmen). Cook pancakes and serve.


For making snowmen start with the center. This guy is a little fat because I was a little too fast in shaping him. 

Start with the center dot and then make arms. I did the head next and then the bottom. After enough bubbles have popped and the edges look like they are developing a skin flip your creations! 

Aww, he wants a hug :) 


Put on plates and decorate with mini chocolate chips, dried fruit, syrup, sprinkles, or whatever you like to put on your pancakes. Have fun! 

Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm the crazy older sister of 11 children. If I were a splotch on the page of history I most definitely would be purple.
Feel free to leave a comment below.