Friday, September 26, 2014

Great Question III

Why did God create man if he knew that man was just going to mess things up?

I got this question from one of my Good News Club kids last year. It's a tough one to answer and I don't think that there is just one reason either.

Here is what I believe:
God created man for at least three reasons (originally)

1. To show a reflection of Himself in His creation (notice I said reflection not copy. I believe there is a difference) (Gen. 1:26a)
2. To create a being that was able to have a relationship with Him that was unlike that of the other creatures of creation.
3. Originally to have dominion over the other creatures in creation and to subdue the earth (Gen. 1:26,27). Interestingly, though, it is not repeated to Noah in Genesis 9 (though, the "Be fruitful and multiply" command is).

     I believe that God could have stopped what happened in the garden but didn't. In essence He allowed man to disobey His command to not eat of the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil (Gen. 2:17, 3:1-7)
      I believe that God allowed things to happen this way so that we might know more fully how deep His love is by showing just how far He was willing to go.
     Think about it. If we had never sinned, then Christ would not have had to die. If Christ didn't die we would know that God loved us but we wouldn't be able to even try to comprehend how deep that love is for us. Now at least we can begin to grasp the desperate, painful, deep, powerful, passionate nature of His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm the crazy older sister of 11 children. If I were a splotch on the page of history I most definitely would be purple.
Feel free to leave a comment below.