Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Modesty Part 4: What is our Focus?


      Our primary focus should be to bring honor and glory to God in the way that we dress. 
     I think a lot of times people think that they should focus on the men in their lives and get hyper sensitive to how they dress because of them and lose the fact that this should be an act of devotion and love towards God. Not that we should completely ignore the men in our lives and how our dress might affect them but it should not be the main focus.
     I know it's easy to look at our clothing/bathing attire and ask ourselves if we are going to be too distracting to our brothers (and sisters), I've done it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's easy to get distracted. 
     Our whole motivation shouldn't be am I being a distraction to this guy or that guy. If we were always worried about that then shoot, we shouldn't even be stepping foot outside our own house because we will always potentially become a distraction to a guy. If he is looking at you with the intention to lust he is going to do that no matter what you are wearing. 
      Should we dress like sluts? No! We should dress in a way that honors and pleases God. We should do our best to not dress in a way that is sexually distracting. Not only does this dishonor God it brings dishonor to yourself. 
     Should we then dress like nuns? No! We should live in the world but not be of the world. I think that finding a balance is the key. 
     It's hard for me to lay down rules for people to follow but I think that we should dress to enhance our figure and not expose it. God gave us our bodies and He has blessed us with closets full of clothes, it isn't wrong to wear things that make you look (and feel) pretty and enhance your figure. It is wrong to flaunt it and let everyone know what you have. 
     This is a good video on the background of bathing attire while I agree with the speaker on a lot of points I think it's important for Christians to recognize that our primary reason for dressing modestly is because we are trying to bring honor and glory to God.
http://www.qideas.org/video/the-evolution-of-the-swimsuit.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm the crazy older sister of 11 children. If I were a splotch on the page of history I most definitely would be purple.
Feel free to leave a comment below.